Friday, August 24

National Waffle Day & 5 month old twins


Mmmmm, who doesn't love to indulge on hot, homemade waffles?
Well, when I got an email the other day from Eatingwell.com announcing that today was National Waffle Day- I looked at opportunity right in the face and said, "How do you do! I certainly will celebrate such a day!"

They included a recipe for Multi-Grain waffles. Hmmmm... whole wheat flour, toasted wheat germ? Doesn't sound like a recipe for delicous waffles to me. Sounds a little too healthy. But, knowing I only had to pick up one of the ingredients on this list and knowing that I had an unused waffle iron waiting to be heated up for the first time in our home, I decided to give it a go.

The boys weren't at all disappointed that mom was going to actually cook a hot breakfast, too!

We mixed it all up, heated up our waffle iron and we were enjoying these healthy little treats in about 35 minutes! I was surprised at how good they were and knew that my little munchkins were going to gobble them up as well. The nutritional information states that 2 waffles are a serving size and that is plenty! They're quite filling. And with only 4 g of fat and 188 calories per serving- you need to give this recipe a try. Of course that doesn't count the syrup I added or the half of a banana- I love bananas with waffles and french toast. We even had 3 waffles leftover for another day this weekend or next week. I think I'll go ahead and mix up another batch soon as the recipe says they freeze great. I'll feel much better about heating one of these waffles up instead of those boxed freezer varieties.

Multi Grain Waffles from eating well magazine

2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ or cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
4. Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 188 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 328 mg sodium.

Nutrition bonus: 144 mg calcium (14% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Servings

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Wrap any leftovers individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.


Onto other thrilling news... my 2 little monkeys are now 5 months old. I whipped up these adorable little taggie blankets and then had a friend's mom sew them up for me. For some reason, I haven't had a chance to pull out that sewing machine lately!

And if I work it out just right, you'll always be able to tell who's who in the photos b/c of the cute monograms on the blankies!

At 5 months, they're sleeping better (usually), learning to take turns (at dinnertime when they both eat their cereal) and they love to play games on mom and dad. They're favorites are- who's the cutest baby evah? & tag-team cranksters.

For "who's the cutest baby evah?"- they try to smile and coo their way into our hearts (they're already there) and win us over to see which baby we'll pick up first. It's tons of fun.


"who is cuter, mom? Zach or Dom? We're going to look at your with our big blue/brown eyes until you pick one of us up!"

The second game is not as "fun" because it involves one of the boys being major cranky. They like to take turns at this game. We'll get one baby happy and then the other one will start up the tear fest. See... not fun for mom and dad. I think they get a kick out of it though- especially in the wee hours of the night.

I finally convinced someone to take a picture of ME with the boys. I think the last one I had was in the hospital... way back in March! That's me with my super sweet new dooo- Posh Spice inspired. Isn't it MAJOR? (I know, I watch too much tv)


And this weekend we're going to have the twin's pictures taken at JCP's! Looking forward to it!

Have a good one- I know it's the last weekend before a lot of us send our kiddos back to school. We still have one more week to get our schedules down before school begins the day after Labor Day.

till then...




9 comments:

  1. I'm going to try that recipe. Ella asked for waffles this morning and I wasn't feeling up to homemade so we had egos. But if only I had known it was national waffle day! Oh well - at least we had waffles...
    PS - love the new do, it's very "maaaay-juh"! :) I watched it too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had waffles this morning too! Actually, Kyria had Shrek waffles. That is what she calls mini eggos because Shrek was on the box at one point. Otherwise, she would not have a clue who that ogre is!
    The babies are adorable and you look terrific dressed in all that motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I will certainly say that your hair is major! Love it! Also, I will have you know that I MADE DINNER tonight! I made pulled bbq chicken sandwiches (thank you, Rachel Ray!). It even involved bringing out the ol' food processor to chop onions and garlic. I think this is the beginning of something beautiful and I owe quite a bit of it to the Crafty Pumpkin for her inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous, my friend!

    Big hugs,
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss the last part of this post? I must have gotten interrupted, which happens all too often.

    I can't believe Dominick and Zachary are 5 months already! Where has the time gone? I'm sure you're wondering the same thing! They both are so cute! All your boys are adorable and every time I decide who looks more like whom, I change my mind! They all look so much alike!! Love the blankets, too! I don't know how you find the time, but you sure are an inspiration!

    I love your new haircut! You really look great! And I'm glad that you got someone to take a picture of you with the babies!

    ((((((((hugs))))))))

    ~ Cyn <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Please don't let Will know about the blankets that you make the boys. I'm supposed to be repairing the one that I made him when he was just a really little. One of these days soon, I'd be dragging out my machine. In the meantime....mum's the word! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I know what it was! I followed your link to Eatingwell.com and got lost over there! Thanks for that link, btw!! Great stuff over there!

    ~ Cyn <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute hair! cute boys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great entry.

    Here the twins cried and smiles at the same times.
    So when one cried I didn't know which one to choose to comfort first. Which didn't really matter, because when one stopped, the other stopped too.

    ReplyDelete