Tuesday, November 5

Recycled Pumpkins!

Have you ever wondered why my blog is called She's a Crafty Pumpkin?

Well, other than the fact that I'm crafty.... (which may be hard to tell these days as the only "crafts" I'm creating are the breakfast/lunch/dinner variety), the word pumpkin just so happens to be one of my favorite words in the English language and ranks up in the top 5 favorite flavors that I love.

I just love the color of PUMPKINS.

I love the way the word PUMPKINS rolls off of my tongue.

I love the yummy foods that can be created with this bright orange colored squash!


AND that leads me to today's thoughts on your holiday decor.

This post deals with all those UNCARVED pumpkins in your life. Maybe I'm not the only one who had nary a stitch of time left for pumpkin carving. What with all the costume finding, the candy sorting, the feeding of and taking care of people I was doing... there was just no.time.left.

(and to be honest, I hate carving pumpkins and the smell that is produced during this task)

Some people throw away pumpkins as soon as the clock strikes twelve on Oct. 31st.

Some keep these lovely, bright colored orbs around until Thanksgiving, incorporating them into their decor.



And some cut them in half, scoop out the seeds


and roast them in a 350° oven in a shallow pan with about a 1/4 inch of water (check as the water evaporates during cooking) for about 45-55 minutes. 



Your house will smell of delcious fall scents. 

You will want to dance around and sing about pie- (or not).

You will want to drink hot apple cider and don an apron as you relish in your good old-fashioned sense to use what you have and not waste a good pumpkin!


By the way, this is the same way you'd cook a butternut squash, an acorn squash or whatever squash you find at the farmer's market!

You want the flesh of the pumpkin to be easily pierced with a knife- that's how you'll know it's done.

Scoop out the flesh and store it in the fridge to be used in your favorite pumpkin recipe.

PIE works for me.

The color will be different, but it's FRESH! It will taste glorious! You will be so proud! You'll knock yourself on the head and say "Why didn't I think of this sooner????"


Now go forth and ROAST A PUMPKIN!

**the pumpkins that work BEST for this are the 3-4 pounders. About the height of a water bottle. They're sweeter.



1 comment:

  1. Why water? I never bake squash with water, just some evoo. Is there something to that or just something you always did?

    "Some keep these lovely, bright colored orbs around until Thanksgiving, incorporating them into their décor" That's me....no pie makers in this house ;0)

    Nice earth-friendly post...are you composting the rind? LOL

    ReplyDelete